Frank's Kraut Mac & Beer Cheese Casserole
16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 cups cheddar cheese
2 cups beer
2 14 oz cans of Frank’s Kraut (drained)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Bread crumb topping
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup crushed pretzels
4 tbsp butter melted
½ cup parmesan cheese
¼ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cook pasta, remove from heat, and drain. Place in large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil on pasta and stir. Set aside to cool.
- Melt 6 tbsp unsalted butter in saucepan. Over medium heat whisk in flour, cook until bubbly and golden.
- Gradually whisk in milk and whipping cream until smooth. Gradually add beer, whisk until smooth. Cook until bubbly, add salt and pepper.
- Gradually add 4 cups of cheese, whisk until smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick.
- Add cheese mixture to cooled pasta and stir (you may have some cheese sauce leftover, set aside for a great dip!) Fold in Frank’s Kraut.
- In a lightly greased 3-4 qt. baking dish pour mac and cheese.
- Top with bread crumb mixture, bake until bubbly and brown.
- In small bowl combine panko crumbs, pretzel crumbs, parmesan cheese, 4 tbsp melted butter and paprika.