Creamy Kraut and Sausage Soup
A delicious way to warm up all winter long.
1 14oz can of Franks Kraut
1 sweet onion finely diced
1 large carrot finely diced
2 stalks of celery finely diced
3 garlic cloves minced
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
4 tablespoons AP flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 qt chicken stock
1.5 lbs diced potatoes
14oz. Polish sausage thin sliced
2 tablespoons fresh dill diced
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
- Slice potatoes into small bite size pieces and boil them until tender (5-7 minutes). Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven on medium high heat brown the polish sausage, 3-5 minutes. Once they are browned remove sausage and add in onions, carrots and celery (mirepoix), garlic and 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent and carrots have softened.
- Add 4 tablespoons of flour and stir into veggies. Let cook for another 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Slowly pour in chicken stock, stir and bring to a simmer . Mixture will begin to thicken. Slowly add in heavy whipping cream while stirring. Add sausage, drained Frank’s kraut, potatoes, dill, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium low heat for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!