Pennsylvania Dutch Krautkrapfen
For the dough
4 cups wheat flour
3 Eggs Large
1/2 cups Milk
1 tbs Oil vegetable
1/8 tbs nutmeg fresh, ground
1 tbs salt
For the stuffing
2 pound Frank’s Kraut braised sauerkraut
8 oz Pennsylvania Dutch grated Colby cheese
2 cups Onions diced, yellow
½ cup Oil vegetable
½ cup butter
- Mix all ingredients on a clean cutting board to form a dry pasta dough
- Knead the dough until smooth
- Cover the dough with a clean towel and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature
- Heat the butter in a deep sauté pan and caramelize the onions over low heat, this will take about 15 minutes, keep stirring the onions.
- While the onions caramelize roll out the noodle dough to an 18 by 12 sheet.
- First spread the cheese over the sheet and then the cold sauerkraut over the cheese.
- Roll up the noodle sheet and pinch the overlapping ends together.
- Cut the Kraut Krapfen into 2 inch slices.
- Now remove the onions from the pan and heat the vegetable oil over medium heat and place the Kraut Krapfen into the skillet and fry for 2 minutes on each side. After you turned them over place a lid on the pan, turn the heat to low and let sit for 5 minutes. Then move the Kraut Krapfen onto a nice platter and top them with the caramelized onions.
- Garnish with fresh chopped scallions and serve with apple sauce or serve them cold with a bowl of your favorite soup.
PLATE: Place Wilted Greens down first, cover with Speatzle, add Pork and ladle Cheese Consommé over dish. Serve immediately.