Frank's Vegetarian Kraut Balls
For the Kraut Mixture:
1 ½ cups mashed potatoes
3 cups kraut, well drained
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon onion powder
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
For the Breading Station:
1 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
Fresh lemon slices
Whole grain mustard
- Mix together potatoes, kraut, cream cheese, onion powder, and parsley. Roll into 1-inch balls and refrigerate while prepping the breading station and oil.
- Create a breading station by lining up 3 bowls:
- Fill the 1st with seasoned all-purpose flour
- The 2nd with the beaten eggs
- The 3rd with seasoned breadcrumbs
- Heat ½ inch vegetable oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Roll chilled kraut balls in flour, egg and then bread crumbs before placing in hot oil. Brown on all sides and cook until heated through, about 7 minutes in total.
- Serve with lemon slices, mustard and sour cream.