Frank’s Mustard Kraut German Potato Salad Recipe
The perfect cookout side! Frank’s Mustard Kraut German Potato Salad created by @bbqwithboterman
2.5 lbs Red Potatoes (about 8)
1/2 lbs Bacon
3/4 Cup Sweet Onion
1 Cup Frank’s Mustard Kraut
2 Tablespoons Flour
3/4 Cups Water
2.5 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Cup Vinegar (Mostly white with a splash of apple cider vinegar)
Kosher Salt (to taste)
Coarse Black Pepper (to taste)
- Rinse and dice potatoes into 1/2” cubes. Place potatoes in 4 quart pot and fill with water until potatoes are covered. Add a teaspoon of salt to the water. Bring to a boil.
- Boil potatoes for 7-9 minutes or until they are tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, chop the bacon into small chunks and place into a medium high heat cast iron pan. Cook bacon until it is crispy and remove from pan, leaving the rendered bacon fat in the pan.
- Drain your potatoes and place in a very large bowl. (Larger bowl than you think, because we are going to stir all the ingredients and you’re going to need some room.)
- Remove about half of the fat in the pan and add diced onions to the remaining fat. Cook onions until they are translucent and starting to brown. Slowly add flour and stir to coat onions. (We are essentially going to make a gravy to top the potatoes). Slowly pour in half of the water and continue to stir. Add sugar and salt. Slowly pour vinegar mixture in as well as remaining water. Mix well and bring to a boil. The “gravy” will thicken after 30 seconds to a minute of boiling. Remove from heat and pour the over the potatoes.
- Add Frank’s Mustard Kraut and stir the “gravy” and kraut into the still hot potatoes.
- This salad is awesome served piping hot, room temp or chilled!